Join the Ubiquity Press team!
Ubiquity Press is more than a publisher – we’re also engineering new technology that will change and improve the future of research communications worldwide. We’re a dynamic and idealistic company, and can offer the excitement and advantages of working for a rapidly-growing company. We have a wide focus: from supporting open access university publishing and infrastructure, including research data and software, to solutions for the developing world. Headquartered in London, with a distributed workforce in North America and Europe, Ubiquity Press offers an open and supportive environment where staff are encouraged to grow and develop.
We look for talented people with broad publishing and/or technical skills, who have a research background and interest, and who genuinely want to have an impact on the world. Applicants are evaluated solely on their ability to contribute to the success of the mission, and the company recognises the strength and insight that diverse teams bring - to this end, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds, life experiences, and perspectives.
Job Type: Permanent, full-time
Location: Preferred London, UK, or Greece, but remote-work considered
Salary: £22,000 - £30,000 (depending on experience)
Purpose of the role
The Marketing Executive is responsible for the planning and implementation of primarily academic libraries outreach programme, as well as researchers, societies and other academic bodies suited to be interested in Ubiquity Press’s range of products, services and solutions.
As Ubiquity Press is quickly gaining ground in all its segments, we require a marketing specialist to take us to the next level and help us develop our brand.
If you’re looking for a role where you’ll have the opportunity to shape marketing and innovate, then this is the one for you!
- Work with the Chief Commercial Officer in implementing a tactical strategy to revamp Ubiquity as THE obvious open scholarship solutions’ provider.
- Participate in rebranding strategy including website redesign, writing brochures and other marketing copies.
- Explore and manage effective marketing channels (mailings mostly) to maximise outreach.
- Organise attendance, sponsorship and logistics for academic conferences to promote our products/brand.
- Coordinate with global colleagues across departments (editorial and technical teams) to ensure the implementation of all relevant activities and support advocacy.
- Work closely with the Community Manager to ensure all media are exploited for maximum outreach.
- Knowledge of managed products and associated scholarly communities; awareness of industry trends and developments that target authors, readers and institutions.
- Understanding of the open access landscape.
- Ideally experienced in academic publishing, libraries or research environments.
- Experience of setting up and leading projects.
- Strong communication skills in English is a must.
- Good organisational skills, details-oriented and capable of handling multiple priorities.
- Clear and confident communicator.
- Proactive attitude.
- Excellent time and workload management.
- Tech- and online-savvy.
- Passionate about open access.
- High standards and a great eye for detail.
- Honesty and integrity held in high regard.
- Your personality will make the whole difference.
Please send your CV and short covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Successful applicants will be invited for online interviews, with the aim to make a quick decision.
Ruby Backend Developer
Job Type: Permanent, full-time
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece preferred, but other locations considered
Purpose of the role
In this full-time mid to senior position, you will take on a range of responsibilities, and will be involved in all stages of the software lifecycle: from design through development, testing and deployment to maintenance.
The successful candidate for this London-based position will work under the guidance of the Tech Team Leader and Head of Operations, and contribute primarily to the further development of academic data repository solutions based on open source software, and their integration with the existing company platform.
The ideal candidate will spend most of the working day on Ruby products, while supporting the open source development of the Ruby platforms.
Skills and experience
- Excellent understanding of Ruby on Rails (at least 4 years experience)
- RESTful web service development
- Understanding and experience of the software development lifecycle and code versioning systems such as GIT, including branching and merging flows;
- Demonstrable activity on GitHub profile
- Excellent English language communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability communicate effectively with a technical and non-technical audience
- AWS (S3 / EC2) or Google Cloud
- Docker / Kubernetes
- Previous involvement in open source projects and open source communities
Things we like
- Google Compute Engine / GKE
- GitLab pipelines / build automation
- “frequent” integration
- Agile / Kanban
- Easygoing, understanding, supporting team, willing to help and mentor!
- flexible working hours (plus some occasional WFH)
- contribution to open source projects
- work with some of our partners, including:
- Google Scholar (yes!)
- European Union
- some of the most important US and UK universities
Things we are involved in
- Development of open source services and libraries, with some important, industry leading international partners
- Community outreach (conferences, events, etc)
Please send your CV and short covering letter to email@example.com.
A short cover letter (in the form of an email) should include:
- Short introduction
- Link to GitHub / GitLab / Bitbucket or other repo with some of your work
If your application moves past the CV stage you will be requested to:
- Complete a practical test
- Attend an interview (in person or via skype where required)
- Have a super quick chat with the rest of the Tech Team
Please follow us on Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook for news about employment opportunities.