Join the Ubiquity Press team!
Ubiquity Press is more than a publisher – we’re also engineering new technology that will change and improve the future of research communications worldwide. We’re a dynamic and idealistic company, and can offer the excitement and advantages of working for a start-up, based from our offices in London, UK and Oakland, California. We have a wide focus: from supporting open access university publishing, including research data and software, to solutions for the developing world.
We look for talented people with broad publishing and/or technical skills, who have a research background and interest, and who genuinely want to have an impact on the world.
Please follow us on Twitter | Linkedin | Facebook for news about employment opportunities.
Product Manager (London, UK)
Ubiquity Press is building two new products to help share research openly: a research repository platform and a conference publishing system. We are looking for an experienced Product Manager to translate business strategy into product strategy, to be the face of the products to our customers and the voice of our customers in the business, and to coordinate the work of our internal development team to deliver and mature the products successfully.
Who we’re looking for
This job suits a self-starter, passionate about open scholarship, with at least 2 years successful product management experience. This is a full-time role based in our London office.
Desired personal attributes
- Values openness highly
- At least 2 years experience in product management (ideally in an Agile environment)
- Experience in developing and executing product strategy
- Project management skills
- Requirement gathering and writing skills (eg as user stories)
- Great communication skills (listening, presenting, etc.)
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment, building strong relationships and motivating and inspiring a team.
- Nice to have: background in scholarly communication, data repositories, or academia
Overview of tasks
- Gain a deep understanding of the needs of customers, and be the ‘voice of the user’ within the company
- In coordination with Senior Management, develop an overall strategy for the products
- Define and own the roadmap for development of the products:
- Consider current and future trends and external influences (competitor analysis, changes to funder policies etc)
- Consider needs of customers
- Consider direction of company
- Balance all these to create a deliverable roadmap
- Ensure the products are ready to scale (from both technical/infrastructure and service perspectives)
- Where necessary, write feature cards for the Development Team to work on
- Including user stories, and acceptance criteria
- Where necessary, perform tests on completed feature cards
- Lead the prioritising and scheduling of work for the Development Team at project sprint meetings
- Report on scope/time/budget for the product
- Propose changes to scope/time/budget where necessary
- Represent the product in community forums/channels/calls (both developer and customer communities)
- Communicate product releases to existing customers
- Represent the product at regular meetings with key customers (eg where developing specific solutions for those customers)
- Work with the marketing and sales team to ensure the product (and updates) are communicated to potential customers
- Deliver training and demos to internal staff (eg sales) and existing and potential customers (in person, online, or at conferences)
- Oversee the on-boarding of new customers
To apply for this role, please email your CV, covering letter, and salary expectations to Tom Mowlam.