Join the Ubiquity Press team!
Ubiquity Press is more than a publisher – we’re also engineering new technology that will change and improve the future of research communications worldwide. We’re a dynamic and idealistic company, and can offer the excitement and advantages of working for a start-up, based from our offices in London, UK and Oakland, California. We have a wide focus: from supporting open access university publishing, including research data and software, to solutions for the developing world.
We look for talented people with broad publishing and/or technical skills, who have a research background and interest, and who genuinely want to have an impact on the world.
Ruby Developer x2
We are recruiting for two Ruby Developers to join our London office, one more senior and one more junior.
In this position, you will take on a range of responsibilities, and be involved in all stages of the software lifecycle: from design through development, testing and deployment to maintenance. The successful candidates for these positions will work under the guidance of the CTO and COO, and contribute primarily to the further development of academic data repository solutions based on open source software, and their integration with the existing company platform. The ideal candidates will spend most of the working day on Ruby products, while supporting the open source development of the Ruby platforms.
Skills and experience
- Excellent understanding of Ruby on Rails (at least 3 years of experience)
- RESTful web service development
- Understanding and experience of the software development lifecycle and Git
- Demonstrable activity on GitHub profile
- Excellent English language communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences
Nice to have:
- Google Compute Engine / GKE
- Docker / Kubernetes
- Fedora ( https://duraspace.org/fedora )
- Previous involvement in open source projects and open source communities
Things we like:
- AWS (S3 / EC2)
- Build automation
- “frequent” integration
- Agile / Kanban
- Easygoing, understanding, supporting team, willing to help and mentor!
- Contributions to open source projects
- Python 3, React/Next.js
- work with some of our partners, including:
- Google (yes!)
- European Union
- some of the leading US and UK universities
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working hours (plus one regular work from home day per week)
- Opportunity to develop open source services and libraries, with some important, industry-leading international partners
- Community outreach (conferences, events, etc)
- Real opportunity to grow in a role focused on a specific product that interacts with many different platforms
- GCE / Kubernetes training
- Subsidised pension
- ...and much more
Please send your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com .
A short cover letter (in the form of an email) should include:
- Short introduction
- Link to GitHub/Bitbucket or other repo with some of your work
You will be requested to:
- Complete a practical test
- Attend an interview (in person or via Skype where required)
- Have a super quick chat with the rest of the Tech Team
Please follow us on Twitter | Linkedin | Facebook for news about further employment opportunities.